A prized possession

e

In my country there's this expression "the apple doesn't fall far from the tree trunk" - and the story behind this picture is really a point in case.

When my mother passed away a few years ago and we went through all her possessions, it really wasn't a difficult divide at all. All I really wanted was a few "worthless" items like the above - a cutting from an old magazine, which my mother had pasted to the wall in her creative den. I cherish this old scrap of paper, because I just think the artist has captured something so soft, tender, fuzzy and warm between the boy and his cat (just like I imagine the ultimate relationship between a child and a pet). And then because I love the fact that my mum and I obviously had a love of similar things. I know some people wouldn't want to be linkened to their mother at all, but where certain qualities are concerned, I'm so happy that the apple didn't fall far from the tree trunk. We shared a love of animals and simple things and that makes this a most prized possession.
e

Comments

Popular Posts